Strengthen Your Environmental Science Program (6-12)
NEW Seminar Presented By
Outstanding Educator and National Presenter
Specifically Designed for Science Teachers Serving Grades 6-12
- Practical, evidence-based strategies for successfully engaging learners in environmental issues
- Valuable and practical ways to build and strengthen your existing environmental science program
- An enormous collection of quality resources, lessons, and practical ideas that will strengthen any comprehensive environmental education curriculum
- An extensive 6-12 Environmental Education digital resource handbook filled with dozens of teaching tips, instructional strategies, and educational tools
Without question, our students are looking for answers to the ongoing environmental issues we face. As citizen scientists or just curious onlookers, we want to provide our students with the critical skills and important tools for better understanding our environment and how to engage responsibly with it. If you have a passion and enthusiasm for teaching environmental science, but lack the time and resources necessary to research and develop practical science lessons that engage your students, increase their motivation to learn, and meet the current standards, then this NEW, highly practical and fastpaced seminar is designed specifically for you. Join exemplary science teacher and national presenter Marge Porter for an interactive day dedicated to Environmental Science. You will discover an extensive collection of ideas and practical strategies for Grades 6-12 Environmental Science. You will leave with dozens of classroom tested strategies proven to motivate and encourage learners in scientific discovery and design. These new ideas and valuable resources will enhance environmental science learning. Throughout the day, Marge will show you how to leverage student curiosity to facilitate knowledge construction. Whether you are ready to work with the most innovative and techcentric websites and programs or learning how to use the outdoors as an extension of your classroom, you will leave with dozens of new ways to maximize your students’ learning of environmental science. Come and discover the best, new ways to foster a respect for our environment and help your students move from curious onlookers to citizen scientists!
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Strengthen Your Existing Environmental Science Curriculum or Program
Acquire access to an abundance of materials, lessons, programs, and activities that embrace best practices in environmental education … Leave with dozens of ways to enhance your existing environmental science curriculum or program
- Learn How Project Based Learning (PBL) Can Enhance Any Environmental Science Curriculum or Program
Consider your program’s learning goals and connect them to authentic and rigorous PBL to help students solve relevant, real-world environmental problems
- Practice Proven Strategies for Creating Environmentally Literate Citizens
Help your Grades 6-12 students develop the skills they’ll need to study the environment and make intelligent, informed decisions about how to care for it
- Make your Environmental Science Instruction Come Alive through Outdoor Instruction
Explore a wide variety of hands-on, interactive strategies and activities that are feasible, fun, and creative extensions of your classroom to the outdoors … Plan ways to help students connect with nature in a meaningful way, as a substantial part of their everyday lives
- Empower Your Students to Make Responsible Decisions and Take Action
Help students acknowledge their responsibility to society and the environment through an examination of how natural processes and systems tie to economic, cultural, social, and political systems … Lessons that teach students how to demonstrate supporting the environment with integrity
- Strengthen Career Connections in Environmental Science-related Fields
Strengthen Career Connections in Environmental Science-related Fields
- Inspire Your Students to Become Citizen Scientists
Discover the tools and research programs that will inspire your students … Provide young people with opportunities to become members of their local and global communities, building their capacity to work individually and cooperatively to improve environmental quality
- Acquire Techniques to Strengthen Inquiry Learning
Familiarize yourself with research-based methods for enhancing existing lessons and activities through the regular incorporation of the science practices and by encouraging students to be active and innovative participants in inquiry-based classroom learning … Strengthen collaboration and improve creativity
- Incorporate Techniques to Enhance Your Existing Environmental Science Course
Learn how to successfully find, develop, and implement topics and activities that are engaging, scientifically accurate, and comprehensive
- Receive an Extensive Environmental Education Digital Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital science resource handbook containing dozens of specific ideas about developing and improving your grade 6-12 environmental science curriculum or program in ways that will strengthen both content and learning
Here's what you'll learn:
- Proven methods for developing learner-centered activities that will motivate students to investigate and protect their environment.
- Evidence-based strategies for strengthening environmental literacy and stewardship.
- A multitude of useful and valuable classroom-ready ideas to encourage science inquiry through challenging, environment-focused learning experiences
- Outstanding examples of instructional strategies that will encourage environmental problem-solving, decision-making, and civic engagement
- Useful applications, web resources, citizen science programs, and lesson plans that will motivate and inspire your students
- Practical mechanisms for motivating students with natural phenomena and engaging them in outdoor learning activities
- Unique ideas for embracing the practices of science to hone your students’ questioning, research, and collaborative skills
- Pedagogic methods for incorporating highly effective, authentic, real-world problem-solving challenges into your existing environmental program
- Best practices based on guidelines that set the standards for high-quality environmental education
- Evidence-based instructional ideas for strengthening your students’ ability to analyze and investigate environmental issues
A Message from Your Seminar Leader
I applaud your passion and enthusiasm for Environmental Education (EE), a vital component to any science curriculum or program. Like you, I consider EE to be essential!
Less than a decade ago the World Congress of the International Union for the Conservation of Nature passed a resolution declaring that young people have “a human right” to experience the natural world, including their inherent right to:
- Connect with nature in a meaningful way, as a substantial part of his or her everyday life and healthy development, and to enjoy, maintain and strengthen this connection through the direct and ongoing experience of nature
- Live in an environment that is not harmful to his or her health or well-being, and to the assurance of the conservation of nature and the protection of the environment, for the benefit of present and future generations
- Be equipped for the responsibility to help address the environmental challenges he or she will be confronted with, and to help realize a sustainable world that values nature and where people live in harmony with nature
During my strategy-packed seminar I will provide dozens of learning tools and ideas to help you to encourage students to protect the natural world and lead healthy lives, and to prepare them to make logical, evidence-based decisions about the environment. Throughout our day together, I will share effective, research-based instructional ideas and quality teaching resources that are certain to energize and motivate you and your students. My goal during this interactive and dynamic seminar is to help you bolster your Environmental Education program by implementing standards-based strategies that will greatly impact your teaching and that will support your efforts to develop a new generation of environmental leaders.
I’m hoping that you will leave feeling empowered and motivated!
P.S. Join me for an interactive day of learning and leave with an extensive digital handbook filled with dozens of practical strategies for strengthening your environmental science program!
Who Should Attend
Science Teachers Serving Grades 6-12
Special Benefits of Attending
- Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. The handbook includes:
- Practical ideas for helping your students connect to authentic and rigorous PBL to help students solve relevant, real-world environmental problems
- Powerful strategies to increase student engagement and strengthen environmental literacy and stewardship
- Proven step-by-step techniques that will strengthen your existing environmental science curriculum or program
- Ideas and resources for extending your classroom to the outdoors
- Meet and Share
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to meet and share ideas with other educators interested in enhancing their science program.
- Consultation Available
Marge Porter will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own program.
Graduate level professional development credit is available with an additional fee and completion of follow up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with University of Massachusetts Global, a nonprofit affiliate of the University of Massachusetts, will be available at the seminar.
At the end of the program, each attendee will receive
a certificate of participation that may be used to verify hours of participation in
meeting continuing education requirements.
^ Back to Top