Institute for Educational Development

Common Questions

Q. Can I earn credit for attending IED Seminars?
A. Yes. Learn more about earning credit here.

Q. Is there a deadline to enroll for one of your seminars?
A. No, IED accepts seminar registrations until our classes fill to capacity. To ensure your space in one of our seminars, we encourage you to enroll as soon as possible. Prepayment or the use of a purchase order is required by the seminar date.

Q. What type of payments do you accept?
A. We accept payments via check, credit card (Visa, MasterCard or Discover) and money orders. Purchase orders are accepted as a promise of payment and invoices will be sent to the proper billing authority listed on valid purchase orders received. We are unable to accept cash payments.

Q. Do you sell your resource handbook?
A. Our resource handbooks are not available for retail sale and limited to seminar attendees only.

Q. I forgot to pick-up my certificate at the seminar and I need this for district and/or state requirements. What do I do?
A. Please send a certificate replacement request to or call us at 1-800-260-8180. Be sure to include your full name, school information and contact information. Certificate requests are processed weekly and please allow 2-3 weeks from the seminar date for attendance to be verified before any certificate can be re-issued.

Q. Do you cancel your seminars due to adverse weather?
A. Unfortunately, we sometimes cancel events if our instructor is unable to travel to the event site due to inclement weather or last minute travel problems. If schools in your area are closed due to inclement weather, please click here ( the morning of the event before you leave home to confirm whether or not the event will be held.
If the event is held and you are unable to attend due to the weather, we offer a full refund. For more information, please call us toll free at 1-800-260-8180, 6 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific Time.

Q. Do you ever offer your seminars at specific schools or districts?
A. The Institute for Educational Development does not sponsor staff development trainings at specific schools or districts.

Q. What do I do if I have a specific ADA request?
Handicap IconIf you have a disability for which you require accommodation under the terms of ADA/504, or if you have a medical condition that requires specific attention, please notify IED no later than 30 days prior to the program date by calling 1-800-735-3503 or by email at

Q. What time do your programs begin and end?
A. All of our seminars start at 8:30am and conclude at 3:15pm. Check-in begins at 8:00am.